For Wendy: The KnitKnot Tree

Yesterday, Tom and I headed to sunny Yellow Springs for a change of scenery, and it was lovely. Y.S. is a colorful little college town about twenty miles from our house, and we visit there from time to time. In winter, we often go there to Christmas shop, and in the spring and summer, it’s one of our favorite places from which to launch our bikes. Even the public restrooms at the bike depot are filled with art. Antioch University is located in Yellow Springs, and I heard somewhere that Dave Chappelle is the honorary mayor of the town. He has a farm just outside the city limits called the “Fuck You Hollywood Farm.”

Everyone must have had spring fever yesterday, because the streets were filled with life– people playing music, skateboarding, shopping and sightseeing. As we were walking, we came upon an amazing sight, and I took some pictures for Wendy. I promised her something cheery, so here it is:

Apparently, some of the knitizens of Yellow Springs must have decided that this tree looked cold, because it seems that they’ve knitted it a sweater.

Wendy is a knitting wiz, and I thought she’d appreciate their efforts.

(The layout on this is crazy– sorry.)

Anyway, back to the tree. The pictures don’t quite capture it. There are “things” all over it– leaves, beads, butterflies, flowers, pockets and a sock. It’s a nice old tree, with lots of arms and therefore, lots of sleeves.

After a rough week in the hood, this really did wonders for my mood.

I wish you could see it live and in person. It’s so bright and colorful and whimsical. It definitely attracted a lot of attention, and I think that even the grouchiest passerby couldn’t help but smile a little at the surrealism of it. I kept hearing people who walked by commenting with variations of, “I love that tree!”

There was even a poem attached:

It’s a really nice tree.

There are more photos and information about the KnitKnot tree at JafaGirlArt.

19 thoughts on “For Wendy: The KnitKnot Tree

1. romi41 says:

Aww…I love the little pink section with the peace-sign knitted on it…sometimes it’s the little things eh? :-)

Side-note: remember in the 90′s, when it was cool to wear GIANT peace-sign necklaces, peace-sign rings and peace-sign t-shirts? We need to get back to that goodnes…LOL ;-)

2. Wendy says:

I. LOVE. THIS. TREE. SO. MUCH! You are too, too sweet. Thank you very much for posting this for me, I’m really flattered, honored, and every other synonym that pertains. Gawd, I love this tree. I think it’s the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. This Yellow Springs sounds so fantastic, I want to live there. Thank you so much, MB!
    ♥ ♥ ♥

3. Little Miss says:

This is incredible! I wonder how they got all the pieces stitched together and around the tree. Fabulous. It’s wonderful. You guys are great!

4. @ romi: Isn’t it cute? Not only do I remember in the nineties when peace signs were cool, I remember in the SIXTIES they were too! Of course, I was only a baby then… ;)

@ Wendy: I’m so glad you like it! I think you would love Yellow Springs. I really like it, but I’m not hip enough to live there. I think they make you take a test.

@ LM: I don’t know how they did it , but you’ve gotta see this!

5. thegirlfromtheghetto says:

Looks like a fun town. Remind me of Ann Arbor a bit.

6. [...] me) and I’m exhausted, so I’m just going to ask that everyone hop over to my friend Moonbeam McQueen’s blog and see the ultra-awesome photos she took for me. She knows I like to knit, but this knitting [...]

7. Wendy says:

I bet a million dollars you’d pass the hip test. I’m definitely going to take it, where do I pick up the preliminary paperwork?

8. Wendy says:

hipness test. Please edit that in your mind.

9. mittins says:

that might be the luckiest tree in the world :O

10. jafabrit says:

Oh my, it makes me and Nancy SO happy that SO many are enjoying the tree we did :) If you go to our website it explains how it got started with a slide show. http://www.jafagirlart.com
    Once a month we also leave free art all over town, 3 rd Fridays, so check out that slide.show.
    By the way a couple tied the knot under the tree :)

Unfortunately we will have to remove the knitting from the tree at the end of April :( so if any of you want to see it better try and get over there during April.

How we stitched it was we used patches of knitting we had done, been donated and stitched them together on the tree. The wonderful thing is, is that others have just been coming and adding their own bits of knitting and bits and bobs.

oh yes, true about the hipness test ;) some of you passes already me thinks LOL! after all liking a knitted tree sweater makes you all really cool.

11. betme says:

MoonBeam ~ Thank you so much for sharing a bit of happy! I love the little beads and the colors.

12. kimiam says:

Adorable tree sweater!

13. @ ghetto girl: It is a fun town– the houses are wonderful too.

@ Wendy: I think you have to go to City Hall, but I’ll check into this.

(I mentally edited.)

@ mittins: I think so too. I wonder if they knit it a bikini in the summer. :)

@ jafabrit: Hi! That link is on my post, and it’s wonderful. Thanks for explaining how the patches were assembled on the tree.

Free art? How cool! We’ll be there!

Getting married under the tree is a good omen– they will most certainly be a close-knit family. ;)

The readers of this blog would pass the hipness test with flying colors. Thanks for stopping by!

@ betme: I’m so glad you like it!

@ kimiam: Isn’t it though? :)

14. jafabrit says:

“Getting married under the tree is a good omen– they will most certainly be a close-knit family. ”

ha ha good one!

15. Red says:

That is the most beautifulist tree in the word.

16. Lucky says:

Holy cow!!! How awesome is that!!! :) Great find!!!

Wow that really is something! Thanks for posting this moonbeam :D

That Yellow Springs might be a nice place to live, hmmmm??

18. gypsy-heart says:

I ‘m so glad the two of you were able to get away and enjoy yourself!.

The tree is magical thanks for sharing it with us! :)

19. @ jafabrit: :D

@ Red: I’m anxiously waiting for the big old trees to sprout about 140 million leaves, because to me they’re soooo incredibly beautiful, but this is definitely the “beautifulist” sweater-wearing tree!

@ Lucky: It really was great to see it!

@ David: Yellow Springs is a great little town, but I’m holding out for my dream cottage in a warmer-weather place.

@ gypsy-heart: It was much needed, and much appreciated! Thanks!